Friday, March 7, 2008

four

Four: Writing Territories

2.
I like to read a lot. Mainly I like to read fiction novels and I also enjoy many mystery novels. I like them because you never know what the end is going to be and I can try to guess what is going to happen next. I like to read because I like learning and seeing the characters grow throughout a novel. Also, I like to read some short stories and plays but reading full length novels are my favorite. Poetry is not my favorite thing in the world but my sister loves to read it so sometimes she convinces me to read some poem that isn’t that bad. I read at least an hour every day, mostly before bed. I like to write mainly short stories because I think they are the most entertaining and can show a lot of character growth. When we did the play assignment with Mr. Miles I really enjoyed writing the play and I didn’t think I would! I don't write that much when it is not a school assignent, I used to do it a lot more than I do now because I used to have so much more time but now with all of the college applications and all of those essays and things to do there just never seems to be enough time to write. There are many topics that intrigue me and I think that any topic could be intriguing if the writer can show it in an interesting way.

3.
Ever since I was little, I wanted a dog. My entire family always wanted a dog except my mom because she never had one growing up. She always had cats and so we always had cats. But when I was ten years old, she finally relented and decided the Shulls could get a dog. It took us forever to agree on what kind of dog because my mom didn’t want to get a dog that was too big and could hurt that two cats that we already had or my little sister, but after months of debating we settled on a golden retriever. My brother MC was the most excited; the dog was going to be his best friend because my sister and I already had been given kittens that were ours. We found a breeder in Wisconsin and picked a weekend to drive there and look at the litter of six puppies. My brother immediately found "the dog." This one dog came running over to us and jumped on my brother so we decided to take him home with us. Because the dog was going to be my brothers, he also got to the pick his name. He chose the name Ranger because of his fondness for the Power Rangers. Ranger immediately became an integral part of our family and we all took turns playing fetch with him and taking him on walks around the neighborhood. Soon he was sleeping in my room every night. When I was a sophomore my family found out that Ranger had cancer so it was a very hard time for my family when he passed away that fall.

3 comments:

kelsey said...

Wow, an hour per day! I envy how much reading time you set aside! I agree with you about writing plays. I thought I would hate it but I ended up loving writing plays. I am sorry to hear that Ranger had cancer. He sounded like a wonderful dog : ) I have a golden retriever and I cannot imagine any golden who is not absolutely wonderful.

Lindsey said...

Dogs are wonderfu pets! That's cute how he ran over and jumped on your brother when you went to pick him out! And I'm sorry to hear that he got cancer, that's terrible.

Adele said...

Oh that's such a sad story about you dog Ranger! I think that you could make that into a really good short story though!