Monday, February 25, 2008

three

Three: Toward the Future/From the Past

1.
Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed writing the play. At first, I thought it would be hard to write and come
up with ideas and write five pages but it wasn’t that bad. I found it hard to come up with an idea at the beginning but once I did, I really liked finishing the play. The limitations in the form that I found frustrating were that I couldn’t really write reactions of the characters from what the others were saying, like I usually do in fiction writing. Another limitation was that you couldn’t really describe what the characters were feeling; you had to show it through their actions and dialogue which was hard to do at first. I think that I would be interested in another drama writing sometime in the future. I liked how it was so different from what we usually do and it was really fun.

2.
If I had the choice to give advice to either a ten year old or a five year old, I would pick the five year old because they actually listen and try to follow the advice whereas a ten year old would probably think they knew better and not listen at all. So, if I were to give advice to a five year old I would tell them to make their own choices. Doing that, they have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes which always works better than being told to do something because it is better. However, I would also give some advice based off of my own experiences because being older I will have experienced so much more but the world they are going to grow up in will probably be a lot different than the one we did. With my advice, I would have to take into account their personality and thoughts otherwise the advice would do them no good. I would choose to give advice about their choices and to do what they want and tell them to go to school and try to do the best they could because that will open so many doors for them later on. I gave that advice because I believe that it will help them most in the long run.


3.
I think that some great literary works can survive time because their themes are timeless. The issues they are centered on can be encountered in any age and any person could possibly be facing them. Every generation it seems, some new ideas seem to be garnered off of these old novels which also are a reason which helps them survive. They offer inspiration. I believe that great literary works live forever because the characters are memorable. I don’t think that anything I write will ever last for 2000 years like Euripides’ Medea did. The authors, like Jane Austen, Anne Bradstreet and Euripides, probably spent a lot of time writing these works and it is fitting that they lasted a long time.

3 comments:

kelsey said...

I really enjoyed reading your play! I could tell that you had fun with the form. I totally agree with you how frustrating it was to not include how a character reacts and feels. I also agree with your advice in making the right choices. Your character is shaped by the choices that you make so why make choices that are not your own? good job!

kelsey said...

I really enjoyed reading your play! I could tell that you had fun with the form. I totally agree with you how frustrating it was to not include how a character reacts and feels. I also agree with your advice in making the right choices. Your character is shaped by the choices that you make so why make choices that are not your own? good job!

Adele said...

I really agree with you opnion that while writing our play it was hard to express characters reactions/feelings. Although I felt the same way I think that after reading your play you really did express characters expressions/feelings great! I also agree that it would be way easier to talk to a 10 year old then a 5 year old because 5 year olds are way too young to comprehend anything about the world or school.