Thursday, March 13, 2008

five

Five: Poetry Critique

My Wish
Rascal Flatts


I hope the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
and each road leads you where you wanna go,
and if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
if it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile.

But more than anything, more than anything...

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
your dreams stay big, your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
and while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but you never forget,
all the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
and you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
and always give more than you take.

But More than anything, yeah, more than anything...
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
your dreams stay big, your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
and while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you,
and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish. Yeah.


My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
your dreams stay big, your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
and while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you,
and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.


2. I chose this song because I really liked the message of it and it is kind of like the poem and songs we talked about in class yesterday, like the listing of things that people wish for you or someone else. I find it interesting because most of all the wish is that they want someone to be happy and fulfilled in life and find their place in life with someone who loves them.

3. The title of this song is 'My Wish' and I think it fits very well with the work because most of the song is just stating a wish for someone, like 'my wish for you is that this life is all that you want it to.' I like the title and think it really goes along well with the rest of the song.

4. This song uses the poetic device of repetition to get the point across because some lines, which include the lines which state the wish, are repeated throughout the entire song. There is also a lot of good imagery in the phrase 'when one door opens, another door closes' and you can just see different possibilities coming and going as people move through life and travel from place to place. There is also one instance of personification where the song says show the world the warmth of your smile, because a smile cannot physically be warm but it can give off warm feelings. These all influence the song and make it flow well and make it progress from beginning to end. The repetition of "my wish" creates an emphasis on those phrases and words and focuses the attention on them. The feelings created by this song are reminiscent and looking back but also looking towards the future.

5. The tone is uplifting and reminiscent and all the poetic devices used in the song strengthen the tone. I really like this song and feel the tone of it is a reason why.

2 comments:

Adele said...

I really like that song you chose!! I like the way that you interpreted also, that the person in the song is wishing for things but also wishing for people to be happy.

kelsey said...

I really like the song you chose. I agree with you on the tone of the poem. It definitely is uplifting. While reading it, I honestly felt my spirits life. It has such a good message- a lot of the things he wishes for are things that people forget about.